This is based on my experience of 2 years of willfully using Linux Mint 11 and Linux Mint 14 on my company laptops (Lenevo w510 and Lenevo w520)
5. My company gives an option to buy Macbook Pro or a Lenevo w520. Initially I thought w520 had better hardware, 8 core in w520 vs 4 cores in Macbook Pro. Later I found Macbook Pro also has 8 cores.
And geekbench score showed Macbook Pro(Mac OS) is slightly(11,000 vs 10,500) more powerful than w520(LinuxMint 14). Boot time is way too high compared to Mac.
For me this is the top most reason. Leveno w520 with Linux had huge advantage over Linux w520 with Windows+ McAfee crap but there is no real advantage when compared to Macbook Pro.
4. Webex/AdobeConnect/GoToMeeting and host of other screen sharing/conference softwares do not work.
Google hangouts is only software that just works for both audio and screen sharing. Awesome sound quality . Unfortunately we can’t force others to use it.
3. Getting an external monitor to work on my W520 is pain the right place.
2. Microphone fails occasionally. Enabling/Disabling the sound card brings it back.
1. It was hard to find a good screen recording software. Essentially there is no single tool similar to Camtasia. There are various tools like Screencast-o-matic (SOM), Kazam, OpenShot etc for recording and editing separately but it takes
a long time to put together a good video. SOM + OpenShot combo is the best alternative.
It has been a wonderful experience working with LinuxMint 11. Learnt a lot in the process. Some of them include
– Started to live in the browser
– Use Google Drive, Dropbox heavily
– Discovered quite a lot of linux tools that make everyday development experience pleasant.
– Figured out Linux alternative softwares/procedures for pretty much everything (VPN, remote desktop, Wifi WPA etc.,) I needed at work and home.